Teneika Askew, Head of People Analytics at Mozilla, met with us to explore how to utilize data for effective visualization and creating data stories that enable decision-makers to take action.
Questions that Teneika answers:
- [1:50] What has changed in Business Analytics?
- [3:14] What is your approach to creating data visualizations?
- [5:38] Free/Low cost data visualization tools for small businesses.
- [7:36] What type of data visualization recommendations do you offer to larger businesses that do not have tool/platform preferences?
- [10:31] What were you doing with CDC?
- [17:01] What drove you to Data Visualization as a career?
- [18:41] Booze Allen – How I made an impression.
- [22:05] College Student Opportunities: Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) & INROADS internships.
- [25:07] What advice do you have for those making a career change into Data Visualization?
- [28:08] What training do you advise for those who are new to data and data visualization?
- [34:52] What is your approach to handling quantitative data? (AUDIENCE MEMBER QUESTION)
- [37:24] How embracing is machine learning and data analytics in relation to using them for data visualization? (AUDIENCE MEMBER QUESTION)
- [41:45] What additional advise do you have for those pivoting their career toward data and/or data visualization? (AUDIENCE MEMBER QUESTION)
- [48:55] How can one mange and automate data that is bad and/or challenging to work with? (AUDIENCE MEMBER QUESTION)
- [52:10] How much does programming languages play into your work and which programming languages are your clients requesting the most for data visualization projects? (AUDIENCE MEMBER QUESTION)
- You can connect with Teneika on her website, Twitter and Linkedin.
- Tools include PowerQuery, PowerBI, Tableau, Google Data Studio and SAP Tools.
- Though it is important to implement a new platform/solution, it is equally as important to inform and educate end-users on how to utilize the new platform or solution.
- Every career/job has a data component – Do make an effort to learn how to utilize data as a skill. Doing so will enhance your skill-set and help you enhance your career.
- College students should look into scholarship, internship and other opportunities offered by their university like the Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and INROADS internships.
- For those who are new to data visualizations, start with Microsoft Excel, work to graduate from a beginner Excel user to an advanced Excel user, then learn Microsoft Power BI and Tableau.
- Microsoft currently offers free Power BI training, Tableau Prep & Tableau Desktop are not free unless you are a student, freeCodeCamp and SimpliLearn.
Stock Media provided by ikoliks / Pond5
Latest posts by Wylie Blanchard (see all)
- Eric Livergood: Smart Technology Road Mapping - October 10, 2020
- Sean T. O’Kelly: Leveraging Technology for Revenue Growth - October 4, 2020
- Teneika Askew: Empowering Decision Making with Data Visualization - September 19, 2020